Friday, August 22, 2008

Stop being stupid, Stupid!

Okay, Rice Spice and I have been discussing the recent surge in stupidness among Americans. We just don't get it! We are supposed to be the greatest nation on the planet, yet we do such stupid shit! Okay, let me change that "we" to "you" or "you, young people." And, if you don't know what I'm talking about just go to YouTube, and you'll see about 50 million acts of stupidity. Or, check your local news, and I'm sure there will be a story about a local jack ass doing something completely stupid.

So, what's the deal??? Rice Spice and I believe all the stupidity out there is a direct result of parents not parenting. It seems like parents are letting their kids do whatever they want without having any consequences for their stupid actions. I just don't get it. I know, as parents, we are all tired and all over worked. But, raising your kid and setting boundaries is the most important thing you can do. I'm not saying I was a perfect kiddo, Lord knows I wasn't! (Right, Rice Spice??!!) I pushed the boundaries, but my parents pushed back HARDER. They put me in my place when I needed it. At the time, I hated them for it. But, now as an adult, I'm thankful my parents gave me rules and boundaries. I think that is what has made me such a well rounded contributing member of society, sorda. (Okay, well rounded might be a stretch...and technically I don't really contribute anything to society, because I'm not paying taxes right now living over seas, but you know what I mean.) So, what's the deal??

Look, if you don't want to be a parent, don't have kids. It's that simple! And, if you don't know how to parent, ask someone for help. There are tons of resources out there that can give you helpful ideas on how to parent. I know it's hard. I'm dealing with my own 3 year old. But, he has been raised in an environment where he knows that there are consequences for his actions. He knows that if he is mean, disrespectful or does something stupid, like throw a rock at someone, Momma is gonna let him know that what he did was wrong. Luckily, I don't have to beat the kid. He's very sensitive, so a stern talking to usually makes him cry. But, he knows that if he steps out of line, I will be there to put him back in line, no matter what it takes. Yes, it takes time and lots of energy to discipline. But, in my opinion, you are putting that time and energy into your investment for the future. After all, all these crazy kids will soon be taking care of us, and that is a horribly terrifying thought!

On another note, people from all over the world see YouTube and read the news on-line. They see all the stupid shit young Americans are doing, and they judge us on that. Keep that in mind when your young 18 year old kid wants to jump off the roof and post it on YouTube, or your kid wants to quit school to be a professional Guitar Hero player, or you kid passes out from playing a video game for 18 hours straight. The people of the world see this and think "What a bunch of morons!" And, I know this because my Japanese students tell me about all the stupid Americans they see on YouTube doing stupid stuff. It almost makes me embarrassed to be an American!!

So, for the love of God...stop being stupid, Stupid!!

No comments: