Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Finally Felt One!!

So, Friday afternoon at exactly 1:00 PM, I was home with Jude. We were on a lunch break. So, I was sitting at the computer checking e-mails, and Jude was sitting on the toilet pooping, and then it happened. We had an earthquake. It wasn't like the other earthquakes I missed. It was quite jolting and scared the peejeebeeze out of me. At first, I heard my washer and dryer banging together, and then I heard the stuff in our closet rattle...I think it was the hangers shaking. Then, I felt about 4-5 jolts. It took about 2 seconds for me to figure out that we were having an earthquake, because I've never felt one before. As soon as I realized what was happening, I raced to get Jude. Since he as sitting on the toilet pooping, I was debating whether or not to wipe him. I was afraid stuff might fall from the cabinet above the toilet and strike him on his head. But, at the same time, I just couldn't bring myself to take the kid of the pot without wiping. I know, priorities...right??!! So, I wiped a few times and then the quake stopped. I was scared shitless. My heart was racing, and I was shaking. The quake wasn't a low little rumble that people had warned me about. Instead, it was a jolting motion, like someone had grabbed my the shoulders and trying to "snap me out of it," if you will. I was so scared. I called Husband, and I told him how I didn't like it one bit. He just laughed. It took me about an hour to finally calm down.


I checked the JMA (Japanese Meteorological Agency) Website, and it was only a 4.5 earthquake. But, it's epicenter was only about 10 kilometers from here. And, since I live on the 5th floor, we seem to feel the earthquakes even more.

I thought earthquakes were no big deal, but this one was quite strong and scary. I was scared of earthquakes before, but now I'm REALLY scared of them. So, now I'm almost tempted to sleep outside in a tent for fear of another one. I even added extra water to my disaster/earthquake provisions, just in case. I know I'm a nut, but now I'm a scared nut...which is even worse!

Here is a link to information about the quake
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/08125900389.html

So, if you hear that a major earthquake has hit the Tokyo region, please send a search party for my family and I. Thanks!

Just another day in Weenie's World!

No comments: