Sunday, August 3, 2008

How Harry Met Sally

Some of you know how Husband and I met. And, some of you don't. It's a great story, so I'll share.

In 2000, I graduated from college with an English degree. I had aspirations of becoming an attorney. So, the wonderful people that I nannied for got me a job at a law firm in Houston, Texas. I worked there and loved it. The people there were really fun and intelligent. It was sometimes difficult to work with certain people, but challenging... and I liked that.

So, after I worked at the law firm for about a year, my friend, who I will call Blue Jay, came home. She returned back to Texas after working in Germany for a few years. She was a high school friend that I hadn't seen in years. But we had BJ in common. Basically, Blue Jay came home to have her baby. I saw her at BJ's birthday party, and she mentioned that she had a friend back in Germany who would be perfect for me. He was brown, Catholic, smart, and played the guitar...everything she thought I needed in a man. Blue Jay told me I should e-mail him. I told her no thanks considering I lived in Houston, Texas, and he lived in Germany. So, a few weeks went by and I saw her again with BJ. She told me that she had spoken with her guy friend from Germany. She told me that she told him all about me. She suggested I e-mail or call him. Again, I told her no thanks.

A week or 2 later, I had to go to Tulsa, Oklahoma, on a business trip. I was sitting in my hotel room all alone one evening when BJ called me on my cell phone. This was our conversation:

"Hey, what ya doin'?" BJ asked on the phone.

"Not much. Just sucking down a bottle of wine in my hotel room." I told her.

"Hey, remember that guy Blue Jay was telling you about?" she asked.

"Yeah, what about him?" I asked in return.

"You should e-mail him," she told me.

"Why?" I asked her.

"He sounds like a nice guy. And, besides, what do you have to lose?" Those were BJ's famous last words.

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"What do you have to lose!?" she said in a louder voice.

"Okay, okay. I'll e-mail the guy," I told her.

And, that was that. She gave me his e-mail address over the phone. And as soon as I hung up with her, I e-mailed him.

We e-mailed back and forth for a couple of months. Since I never thought I would actually meet him, I told him all of my inner most thoughts and feelings. Then, one day at work the phone rang, and it was him (Husband). His voice was nice and smooth. He sounded kind of goofy and a bit of a smart ass. We had a great chat. Then, he called again the next day and the next. Soon, we were talking on a daily basis. He was in Germany and I was in Houston. Our phone bills were really expensive, but it didn't matter.

Then, one day he told me over the phone that he was coming home to Houston. His parents and sisters lived in Houston, and he was coming home for the Holidays. He wanted to meet in person. I was a bit nervous but agreed to meet.

So, on December 21, 2001, I met Husband for the first time face to face. We hit it off right away. We had so much in common. We were both coconuts--brown on the outside and white on the inside. Our parents were nurses. We were both lactose intolerant. We both played music instruments. We had more in common than we could believe. He was a bit shy but still talkative. He was nice and charismatic. He was just perfect!

After our first face to face meeting, I knew I would marry him. I'm not sure how I knew it, but I just did. They say when you meet the "one" you know, and I did.

We spent 12 wonderful days together, and they he had to return to Germany for work. In February, I went to Germany to visit him. He took me to Paris for Valentine's Day. In May, we went to Cancun together with Rice Spice and a friend. In November, I went back to Germany to see him again. We truly had a long distance relationship. However, each time we parted at the airport, it became more and more difficult. Sometimes it was unbearable. And, we dealt with it for 2 whole years.

Then, on February 17, 2003 (President's Day) we got married by the Justice of the Peace in North Texas. We didn't tell anyone for 2 weeks.

Our wedding cost $62.00.

And, that is Harry met Sally.


Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I could be part of your love story. Yall are such a great couple and I'm so glad you found each other!


Anonymous said...

If it weren't for you, we probably would have never met. Thanks for encouraging me to e-mail him. You changed my life!

Love ya,