Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I felt another one!

On Saturday, there was a small 4.3 earthquake that hit the Tokyo area. I didn't actually feel my building sway, but I did hear Jude's closet door squeak, the glass cabinet rattle, and I saw the light swinging above the dining room table. It only lasted a few seconds, but enough to worry me and send my heart racing. As you know, I am terrified of earthquakes. They scare the crap out of me. I'm so paranoid that the big one will hit while I'm in Japan. I'm so scared that I already have my emergency rations packed and by our emergency exit. And, I check the JMA (Japanese Meteorological Agency) website on a daily basis...sometimes hourly. Husband thinks I'm overly paranoid, and he's probably right. But, I feel it's better to be prepared, just in case. In fact, I want to run drills to see how long it would take us to run down the stairs carrying our emergency gear and Jude. Husband said if the big one hit, we should just stay put and try to protect ourselves in our apartment. I, on the other hand, think we should get the hell out of here as fast as we can. After all, we live on the 5th floor of a 9 story apartment building. I don't want to take any chances of getting buried alive if the big one were to hit. I would rather try to run out. Some nights, before bed, I put my shoes close by...just in case I have to run out in the night. I know, I'm overly paranoid, but I can't help it. Remember, I'm from Texas...where you know the ground under you is never going to shake, rattle or roll!

No comments: