Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Food as payment!


So, my Japanese students are great. They are respectful, fun and entertaining. I really enjoy teaching again. The only problem I have now is that my students keep bringing me food as gifts and payment. At first, I gladly accepted everything they gave me. Whether it was cheesecake (as pictured above), or egg plants, or potatoes grown in their garden, or boxes of gourmet cookies, I accepted all food items given to me. Now, they have discovered that I like the cheesecake and cookies more than the veggies. So, they bring me cheesecake and cookies almost on a weekly basis. I appreciate their gift. It means a lot to me that they would spend their hard earned money on me and my cheesecakes. But, I'm getting fat! Eating all the cheesecakes and sweets is making me fluffy! And, I can't deny their gifts. That would be seen as rude, mean, disrespectful and unappreciative. So, I must accept their gifts. And, I hate throwing food away, especially yummy creamy smooth plain cheesecakes with graham cracker crust.....mmmm...I'm drooling now just thinking about it. I just don't know what to do. If I tell them that I don't want them to give me gifts, I might offend them. Afterall, it is in their culture to give gifts, especially to teachers. And, I don't want to offend anyone. I guess I'll just give the food away to the people at Husband's work. They're always hungry. Whatever!
Sheesh! What a dilemma! Too much cheesecake! I love this country!
Just another day in Weenie's World!

No comments: