Monday, September 22, 2008

Back in time...


The other day I was in the car and listening to FM 97.1 on the radio. It's Tokyo's pop music station that plays pop music from around the world. Most of the DJs speak English.
Anywho, as I was driving, the song "Ode to My Family" by The Cranberries came on the radio. I was instantly taken back in time to 1994. I began to think about everything that happened that year. I remembered people I hadn't thought about in years. I remembered being a senior in high school. I remembered singing that very same song in my very first clunker of a car driving with my high school sweetheart (by the way, that person is not Husband). I remembered every thing so clearly. I even remembered the smell of my old high school cafeteria. It smelled like yeast, Pine Sol cleaning solution, and fried foods. I could even remember the smell and look of my old high school band hall where I used to practice my clarinet. (That's right folks, I was a high school band nerd! And, a good one! I'm proud of it...thank you very much!) I remembered all my high school buddies and the fun we used to have. I remembered it all. That song brought it all back. It's amazing how a song can bring back so many old memories! And, surprisingly, I remembered all the lyrics to the song, too. Keep in mind, I haven't heard the song in about 12 years. How is it possible to remember every word to a song I hadn't heard in years when I can't even remember the name of someone I just met yesterday?? How is that??
Well, when the song was over, I kept humming "to tooodoo tooo, to toodoo tooo, to toodoo tooo" for the rest of the day. Later that day, I told Husband about my time warp. He thought it was very interesting. And, when I hummed the song that caused the time warp, he knew it. In fact, he knew the name of it and who sang it. I was very impressed with him....I guess that's why I married him!

No comments: