Thursday, October 9, 2008

Green tea needs sugar!



Okay. I live in Japan, duh! Green tea is offered at almost every restaurant for free. Instead of serving water, most places serve hot green tea. (And, there is typically no sugar or sugar packets on the table.) That's fine. Except, I'm a Texan! I want sweet tea. I have spent my entire life drinking sweet tea from Luby's Cafeteria and from Chick-fil-A restaurants. I love sweet tea. There's something wonderful about pulling up to a Chick-fil-A drive thru and ordering a large sweet tea in the middle of the afternoon. It makes you feel cool, refreshed and satisfied. And, here in Japan, I don't want to drink hot green tea that tastes like chloroform or sea weed. I don't want to drink boiling hot unsweetened green tea when it's 95 degrees outside. I'm sorry, but I don't want that!

But, I have learned to make compromises. I know I can't have sweet tea anywhere on this island. So, the other day I bought some sugar cubes at the grocery store. I placed a few of them in my purse in a plastic baggy. Now, when I go out to eat, I drop a few sugar cubes in my green tea and stir it up. Then, the tea tastes like sweetened chloroform, and I can handle that.

Just another day in Weenie's World!

No comments: