Monday, June 23, 2008

Coldplay....




So, I love Coldplay. I love Coldplay like I used to love NKOTB (New Kids on the Block-I loved them so much as a mere tween...my room was covered with their posters, and I was covered with buttons and NKOTB t-shirts...I dreamt of becoming Jordan's wife, sorry for that!). But now as a grown-up, sorda, if I wasn't married, I would be avidly pursuing Chris Martin of Coldplay. Even though he's married to Gwyneth Paltrow, I would still try everything in my power to make him mine!





I fell in love with him in 2003 when I saw him perform on the Grammy's. Back then, I only listened to NPR and I didn't have cable, so I wasn't too aware of the music being made. But, I usually tried to catch the Grammy's to see what's out and hot. So, that year, I turned on the Grammy's and saw Coldplay perform Politik. Here's the link to that performance:



http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=P54iLHkrtPA



Granted, he's no Alicia Keys or Beyonce in regards to his vocals, but Chris Martin rocked it out. There is something so sexy about a man banging on the keys of a piano, rocking back and forth to the rhythm of his own music with violins and cellos playing in the background. Seeing and hearing his passion flow through the piano keys and hearing the melodic rhythm of the drums was so sensual and orgasmic. It was hot! I was entranced by the beat of the drums and caught off guard by the chord progression. I found his performance captivating and fascinating. You could feel his emotion through the piano. I loved it! As a fellow piano player and ex-band nerd, I really appreciate musicians who incorporate classic instruments, like the piano. And, I seem drawn to modern bands that use the piano in their music. Unlike most people, I hear a song and I attempt to dissect it. I listen to songs waiting for the Fortissimo (the loud part in a song, sorda). I listen to a song longing for the last great Crescendo (a gradual progression in loudness, sorda). That's how I listen to music. The lyrics are cool and all, but to me the music is what it's all about. The music is what makes the band. The music is what matters!





Seeing Chris Martin perform on the Grammy's was amazing. After that performance, I went out and bought all their CDs. Now, with their latest album out...I'm in love once again. Husband knows about my infatuation with Coldplay. In fact, he encourages it! He even bought me the piano/guitar/vocals sheet music for their albums. On rainy days, Husband plays guitar and sings, and I attempt to play piano to Coldplay's music. Jude usually plays the tambourine and sings along. We are like the modern Partridge Family...hee-hee. We really enjoy trying to emulate our favorite Coldplay songs. Husband likes Coldplay, but not as much as I do, I think. I saw them recently on Austin City Limits where R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe performed with them. It totally rocked! Here's the link to that performance:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw795_michael-stipe-coldplay-in-the-sun_music


Enjoy!



Coldplay will be in Tokyo in August. I really want to see them, but we'll see.

No comments: