Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happiness is a deli drawer

As you know, everything in Japan is different. Homes are the size of match boxes, most people don't have ovens, and sometimes you have to crap in a hole in the ground. So, when we moved to Japan and into our Western style apartment, I was quite pleased with the space and with our American appliances. (We have an American washer, dryer, oven, stove, dishwasher, and refrigerator. We are very lucky to have these items. Most Japanese appliances are itty-bitty, so they can fit in a teeny tiny apartment. Our appliances seem monster-sized compared to Japanese ones.)



So, last week our old, American refrigerator started to have issues. It was dripping water from the inside of the fridge. So, I called the Japanese repair guy, and he came to fix it. Unfortunately, the next day it started dripping water from the back, creating a mess in my kitchen. So, I called the Japanese repair guy, and two new guys showed up. They took one look at the fridge and said in broken English, "Fridge old, we bring better one."



When they returned with the new fridge, I nearly had an orgasm. Husband said my face lit up like it was Christmas. The new fridge was big and beautiful and clean and working properly and bigger than the other one and beautiful and wonderful and white and big and had CLEAR storage drawers. But the absolute best part was ......drum roll..........................the clear deli drawer! Yes, a deli drawer! You would think that a lactose intolerant person wouldn't care much about keeping cheeses and meats organized in a drawer, but this lactose intolerant person is also OCD! That's right, nothing makes me happier than an organized fridge filled with yummy goodies. And, the deli drawer, Oh, the deli drawer! It's absolute perfection!



Why do you care so much about a stupid clear, deli drawer, you ask? Well, I'm OCD (as mentioned above), and the old refrigerator didn't have a deli drawer, so I was forced to keep my deli meats and cheeses in a big Tupperware on the top shelf. But the Tupperware would always get pushed to the back of the fridge, and the cheese would always be forgotten about, until it had gone green, moldy, grew legs, and started walking around the fridge like little, green Oompa Loompas, stinking up the joint.



So, with the new, clear, deli drawer, I will never have green, cheese Oompa Loompas. No! Now I will have fresh cheese and deli meats in an organized, easily accessible drawer. (I bet Heaven is full of clear deli drawers!)



Yes, that's exactly what a lactose intolerant family needs. Fresh cheese!



Ah, happiness!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love see thru drawers !!!

Big D ( long time fan of see thru drawers )

Weenie said...

I know! See thru drawers are awesome! I knew YOU would appreciate this! ;-)