Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Torn

To go or not to go, that is the question!

Okay, as you know we are going to the states at the end of April for a whirlwind vacation. One of our potential stops is Sea World San Diego. I don't want to go because I feel the animals are not properly cared for. And I believe the animals are forced to perform for stupid humans. I have read countless articles about dolphins going blind because of the added chlorine in the petting tanks. I have also read how the dolphins' sonar system doesn't work properly in the glass and concrete tanks. Some dolphins literally go crazy and run into the sides of the tanks as a result. I've read countless articles about the horrors at Sea World and other aquariums through out the world. I've never been to Sea World and never wanted to go-that is, until Jude said he wanted to see a killer whale.

As a mother, I will give my kid anything he wants, within reason of course- especially if it will help him learn. So, here's my dilemma: should I take the kid to Sea World San Diego knowing all the horrible things I know about the place, or should I just ignore his request?

Deep inside of me, I know each animal should be left in its natural state, the way god intended. But at the same time, I love to see animals up close, especially at local zoos. And, we have an aquarium with an allergy eater and a guppy we rescued from a fair last year. So, am I just as bad as Sea World? Am I guilty of the same things I am accusing Sea World of?

Even though I disagree with the deplorable conditions at Sea World, I know that visiting such a place could spark an interest in my son. He is already walking around the apartment with little plastic dolphins and whales. He can already name the dolphins: Bottlenose dolphin, Spotted dolphin, Spinner dolphin, Common dolphin, Boto River dolphin, and Baiji River dolphin. He loves them and surrounds himself with them, even when he sleeps. To see these animals up close and in person, and to even possibly touch a dolphin, could be a life changing experience for him. Who knows, he could be the next Jacques Cousteau or Steve Erwin. Wait, I don't think I want my son wrestling with crocodiles, but you get the idea.

Each life experience shapes who we are and who we will become. I want to give my son every possible chance to experience new and exciting things. It just sucks that in doing so, I will be going against my own beliefs.

So, what do you think? Should we take the kiddo to Sea World San Diego?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Sea World in San Antonio. My Great Niece was 4 and she LOVED it !!

Besides, you eat tuna, catfish, sushi and all that crap, don't you ?

Take the kid !!

Big D

Weenie said...

Yep, I am guilty of killing lots of salmon, tuna, shrimp and other sea creatures. And, boy are they yummy!

Okay, one vote to take the kid!

Anonymous said...

Take him for the love of God! Don't listen to the crazy left-wing, tree-hugging, animal rights activists!
-BJ