Monday, April 6, 2009

Spring is here

This picture sums up how I feel about living in Japan. It is a glorious, beautiful place filled with honor, history, and wonderment. It's a place I will always hold dear. It's my home.

I know I'm a Texan and always will be, but I must admit I'm a little scared to go back to the States. With the recent high profile shootings and kidnappings in the U.S., it makes me really appreciate living in Japan. And, it makes me a little leery of going back to the states for a visit. Now I live in a place where you don't have to watch your back at midnight while walking down a dark street. You don't HAVE to lock your doors. You don't have to be scared. You can let your kids play outside unsupervised. You can let them walk to the park alone. You can even let them take the train into Tokyo all by themselves. When Jude and I go out, I don't have to keep him close by. I can let him wander off and explore the world around him. I know that's not possible in the states...and that makes me sad.

I know I'm from the best state in the best country in the world, but lately the news doesn't reflect that. The world sees a bunch of gun toting crazies going on shooting rampages. This isn't my America. This isn't the one I'm proud to be from. This isn't the one I describe to my students.

I want my America back!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are 300 million people in America, and 99.99 percent of them are wonderful people.
Only the bad ones get publicity. That's more a function of the press, than a trait of society.
Bad news sells, good news doesn't....or so they think.

I know Japan has a lower crime rate than the States, but it's not that bad here ....not as bad as it's portrayed.

Texas is probably as safe, if not safer than most states.

I wouldn't live anywhere else. I feel safe here.

Big D

Weenie said...

I know, I know, MOST people in America are good, hard working folks, but it's that other 0.01% that gives me the heebie-jeebeeze. And, we aren't just going to Texas. I know Texas is safe because the gang bangers and the red necks are all packing heat. But in California, Arizona and New Mexico, that isn't the case. Plus, you live in a small town! It has a much different feel than a large city like Dallas or Houston!

I know I'm overly paranoid. It's my job- I'm a mom. I'm not just responsible for myself anymore. I'm responsible for another human being. It's my job to protect him and keep him safe.

America just seems more crime ridden than a year or so ago when we moved to Japan.

Anonymous said...

America isn't more crime ridden..... It just seems that way because of LESS crime in Japan.

You should always worry, but never let fear paralyze you.

Be cautious, but be bold.

Big D

Weenie said...

I never said we weren't going. I'm certainly not "paralyzed" by fear- that's for damn sure! I ain't scared of anything. Remember, I've got 30ish years of pent-up aggression waiting to unleash on someone. On the other hand, Jude is different. I've tried to tell him about "stranger-danger" but I don't think he gets it. I'm worried for my son's safety, not mine.

I'm just waiting for someone to try to hurt me. I'll go psycho Messican ninja on their ass. I'll fuck their world up so bad that they will wish they had chosen someone else to screw with!

This half ass wet-back ain't going down without a fight!

Anonymous said...

You one bad mama-san !!

LMAO
Big D