Wednesday, April 22, 2009

On having a real job

So, as you know, I was hired to teach at a local Japanese elementary school. I am their new ALT (Assistant Language Teacher). It is a great job with great kids and a great faculty. I love it. However, I'm not used to having a REAL j-o-b, job! The last time I had a real job was when I worked in Houston at the law firm (which I loved by the way). And, that was back in 2003. So, this is all kind of new to me. And, even though I have an English degree, I've never taught in a real public school. There are lots of new changes in my world-- new people, new kids, new work environment, new lessons, and meetings to attend. So far, it's great, but just filled with newness (wait, did I just make up a word, shit, I'm just like Bush, wait, newness is actually a real world, phew!)

So, last night was weird. I had a meeting at school at 4 PM to discuss my lessons and lesson plans. So, Husband had to pick up Jude from school and make dinner. When I walked into my apartment at 6 PM, the aroma of Mexican food smacked me in the face. Husband had prepared tacos with all the necessary toppings: chopped lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, and guacamole. I was quite pleased with his work. We gobbled up our dinner and chatted at the dinner table as we do almost every night. (I have one rule in my house: everyone must eat dinner together at the dinner table. My family is required to sit, eat and chat like normal, civilized people. If it were up to them, they'd eat in front of the TV, or Jude would run around eating, leaving a food trail everywhere.) So, I told Husband about my day and about my meeting. At that moment, our roles seemed reverse. Usually it's the other way around. I'm used to being the caregiver, chef, table setter, and questioner. But last night, Husband filled those roles. It was weird, but nice.


I'm glad that I am now contributing financially to this family. I'm glad I have a skill needed and wanted by the Japanese people. I'm excited to be a REAL educator.

No comments: