Monday, January 19, 2009

The Emperor's Palace

On January 2, the Emperor of Japan opens the gates to his palace (pictured below). He allows people to enter into his private garden. Then, he steps out with about 15 other important people and waves to the crowd of about 1 million. This special occasion only happens once a year.

So, when YaYa and PoPo were here, we took them to see the Emperor's Palace. Here are some pictures from the event.

(Here's a view of the Palace from the outside.)
(Here I am going through the gates into the palace garden.)
(Here is PoPo going through the gates.)
(Sister waiting in line to be patted down. Security was very tight, as you can imagine.)
(May I present...the Royal Family...I'm not sure who is who. In fact, I'm so short I didn't see anything except for the guy standing in front of me. Husband took these pictures. Look at all the people!)

No comments: