Sunday, March 27, 2011

Upon arriving in America

When our flight landed in Seattle, I was overcome with emotion. I was so relieved to be on the ground...a ground that doesn't shake all the time...a ground that will hopefully remain still...a ground that won't send me into a pannick...a stable, ground...a ground made of good, American soil!

But, at the same time, I had no idea what would happen next.  I didn't know where I was going, or where I was staying, or when I would be allowed to return to my home, or when I would be allowed to see my husband again.

So, I sat there on the plane and cried.  They were tears of relief, joy, and happiness, and tears of saddness. 

I left Japan on my own accord.  I left because I was given the option to evacuate, and I took it. 

I was determined to stay in Japan, in my apartment, with my husband as a family. 

But, on Monday, something changed. 

On Monday, I was talking to Jude, and he told me something that made me want to leave.

This was our conversation:

Weenie:  "Jude, how are you feeling?  Are you happy or sad?"

Jude:  "Mommy, I'm scared!"

Weenie:  "Why are you scared?"

Jude:  "I'm scared our house is going to fall on my head and kill me."

Weenie:  "Why do you think that?"

Jude:  "Because it keeps shaking, and it won't stop.  I'm scared!  I don't want to die!"

After that converstaion, I knew we had to leave.  I couldn't have my sweet, little boy worried about dying.  A 6 year old boy should never have to worry about dying.  Ever.  That's just not normal or natural. 

So, we left. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a good mom and wife. Period.

Big D