Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tokyo Earthquake Update

We are safe and back at home.  We are still experiencing aftershocks...about once every 30 minutes or so.  Some aftershocks we feel, some we don't.  The ones that are strong enough to cause my light fixtures to sway scare me.  My heart starts to race and that fight or flight instinct kicks in.  Once I feel my building start to roll, I locate Jude, and hold him tight until the rolling/shaking stops.  I'm not sure who's more comforted by the hold, though, him or me.

The trains have started working and things are getting back to normal here.  However, the streets are empty and there is an eerie calmness in my usually hectic city.

Luckily, we have power, and we didn't suffer any damage.  I'm thankful for that.

Actually, today I'm thankful for all the little things we sometimes take for granted, like water, food, and a working toilet.  I know there are thousands of people out there that lack these necessities, and my heart goes out to them.

So, do me a favor.  Hug the ones you love.  Tell them how much you love them.  Because in the end, that's all that matters.

No comments: