Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Bar H Boondoggle

Okay, after the Dam Run 5K/10K, we loaded up the car and headed east to Bar H for the Boondoggle Run and camping--that's right, I said camping! The Bar H Boondoggle is a 6 hour off-road trail race.


According to the sign up sheet, you "run as many laps as you can get in during the 6 allotted hours. The winner is the person who has the most completed laps (that are started by 10:59 p.m.)."




This was a very difficult trail run, considering I haven't ran trails since I moved to Japan (almost 2 years ago). I started off a little too fast and the terrain was hilly, rocky, muddy, and with serious climbs. Luckily, I was able to run with K the Chemist's daughter, who is less than half of my age, by the way. We chatted about important issues like whether or not Jacob should end up with Bella in the Twilight series. We discussed the future of the books and the new movie New Moon to be released in November. Chatting about my favorite new books helped to keep my mind off the pain of running the treacherous trails. Needless to say, after 1 loop and an hour and a half later, we stopped. It was getting dark and starting to rain, so we called it quits. It was a good run, but more difficult than I had expected. And since I was carrying about an extra 5 pounds around my gut, courtesy of mass quantities of Taco Cabana and Chick-fil-A, I was in no mood to continue torturing myself. A campfire and s'mores were calling my name.





Here are some pictures Husband took of the event. (Husband didn't run because he had participated in the Dam Run 10K earlier in the morning.)


At the end! We pooped out at this point.


This was taken at the 3.2 mile loop. We were still fresh and ready to take on another 3.2 miles of hills, mud, and rocks.


Running Freak (in the purple shirt) going for another loop around.


K the Chemist running strong.


I'm still running!


On your mark...get set...go!


Me and my running buddies before the race.


After the race, we camped. We ended up staying up to 2 AM telling stories and roasting marshmallows. It was probably my favorite moment of our Great American Adventure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our midget Mexican forgot to mention she walked EIGHT miles with me the day before !!
She was already tired when she got to the trail run. She did great !!

We were all so glad to see you and the family again. Jude is so tall now, and talking like crazy.

We miss all you all, and our homes, hearts and TENTS are open to you always !!!

Big D