Thursday, March 5, 2009

Yesterday's Audition

So, yesterday we spent the afternoon in downtown Tokyo at the VW Golf commercial audition. Jude had a great time playing with the other kids in the waiting room. And, we had a great day hanging out together. We ate lunch at McDonald's, and he even got to eat an ice cream cone. The kid was as happy as a clam!


At the audition, they took several still photos. They asked him to smile, and he grinned from ear to ear. It wasn't a pretty smile, though. It was that cheesy 4 year old smile with flared nostrils and googly eyes. They kept saying, "Please smile nice." But the kid just made a weird possessed looking smile. Then, they video taped him riding a little wooden car from one side of the room to the other. They said, "No smiling please." What? You give a kid a cool toy and then tell him not to smile. That's an impossible task, I thought to myself. So, the kid rode the little car and smiled the prettiest little smile. He was so happy to play and ride the car that not smiling his best smile was just impossible. I couldn't blame the kid. They asked him to ride the car several times without smiling, but the kid just couldn't do it. He was just too happy!



So, I doubt he got the part in the commercial. When they said smile, he didn't. When they said don't smile, he smiled. So, I don't think they will want him for this gig. But, who knows?! We haven't heard back from his agency yet. I'll keep you posted. But, at least the kid had a great time playing and hanging out with me.



I also had a great time riding the trains and spending the day with my little stinker. If I'm ever feeling low or having an ugly day, all I have to do is get on a train headed for Downtown Tokyo. Someone will say something to brighten my day...I'm sure of it.

Yesterday, as I was standing next to Jude on the train, an older Japanese gentleman looked at me and smiled. That's a rare sight, by the way. Usually no one makes eye contact on the train. They just pretend to be sleeping. So, the man asked me how old Jude was. I told him. He told me that my son was a very good boy and very cute. I thanked him for his kind comments. Then, he said, "You very beautiful, too!" I just smiled and said thanks. Then he asked, "Where are you from, you very pretty?" I giggled and said, "I'm from America." He smiled at me and said with a thick Japanese accent, "Your son is lucky to have pretty momma." He said this with raised eye brows. I wasn't sure how to take his comments. Then, the train stopped. He said, "This is my stop, I'll see you, huh?" He made his comment into a question, and he had raised eye brows again. I wasn't sure if he really wanted to see me again or what. I just giggled and said, "Ja ne," which means see you later in Japanese. I think was trying to flirt, but I'm still not sure about it. However, I was pleased to have been called beautiful by a stranger...even though the man was old enough to be my grandfather.



I don't consider myself beautiful- cute maybe, but certainly not beautiful. I know I'm very different looking, though. I have a huge Jewish nose with a bump that is quite pronounced. And I have dark brown eyes with a huge forehead and brown hair. I have very pronounced facial features that make me stand out, especially among Japanese women. So, I'm not sure if he was trying to be a flirting, dirty old man, or just a kind man making a nice comment. Either way, it made me giggle and smile.



Just another day in Weenie's world!

No comments: