Monday, March 16, 2009

Tokyo Marathon...5 1/2 days to go!



I'm getting nervous. The race is just around the corner.

This Sunday is the big day, and I'm starting to get worried. I've trained and logged all the miles I think are necessary for a good marathon, but still, there is a little voice inside of me telling me all the possible things that CAN go wrong. And, since I'm a planner, I'm listening to that little voice and taking it as a warning to prepare for it all. So, I plan to prepare for rain, locusts, asthma attacks, snow, 95 degree heat, nausea, diarrhea, menstrual cramps, earthquakes, and long lines at the toilet. I hope that if I plan and prepare for everything possible, my mind will be at ease knowing that I've done all I can possibly do. With my mind at rest, it can focus on getting my body to run the distance...26.2 miles.

So, I know it's just a 26.2 mile road race, but I've been working up to it for the last 6 months or so. It has become more than just a race. It's almost like I'm preparing to take the SATs or GMAT or LSAT. It's been lurking for such a long time now that it's hard to believe that the day is almost here. And, I'm filled with anticipation but also with apprehension. I'm scared, nervous, excited, elated, bothered, and sad--all at the same time. I'm scared because I've never ran with 30,000 people before. I'm scared I might trip, fall or get elbowed in the face. I'm nervous because I don't want to have to pee in a squatty potty after running 15 or so miles. I'm excited because this is my second marathon and my first in Japan. I'm elated to finally see all my training and hard work come together to run 26.2 miles. I'm bothered because I can't predict the weather or how I'll feel when I wake up on Sunday. Finally, I'm sad because this era in my life is over. There will be no more 5 AM runs or long 18 mile runs for a long time. I will miss the companionship of my new running buddies. I will miss our weekly The View chats about this and that. I'll miss Saturday morning breakfast with the girls. This moment in time will be over forever--never to be the same again. Yes, I'm a bit nostalgic. I like things to remain constant for as long as possible. I hate change. And, with the race on Sunday, change will come.

2 comments:

Hairpin said...

The long runs aren't over. Your running buddies will still be running at least 3 days a week with a medium to long run on the weekend and you better believe it will end up at breakfast

Anonymous said...

Look at the positive side....after the race, you can rest your body a few weeks, then do it all over again !! LOL

Big D