Tuesday, May 20, 2008

God's Voice?


Here is what a typical street looks like near our apartment.

When we first moved to Japan, we were completely stupid because of the jet lag. We walked around our new country dazed and confused. We were out of whack for a while. We weren't sure what was what. One night Husband and I were trying to get to sleep-- which is hard to do when you have a 3 year old slapping you in the face and trying to sleep with you in a full sized mattress. Anywho, all of a sudden we hear a women's voice speaking Japanese. We hear it faintly off in the distance. I'm not sure if it's the voices in my head and they have all of a sudden learned Japanese or what. I'm afraid to ask Husband if he hears it or not. Then, he asks me "Do you hear that?" "What in the hell is that and what are they saying?" he asks. At first, I'm glad he hears it too, and then confused by who it is and what they are saying. The voice goes on for about 30 seconds and then it just stops.

"Do you think that was God?" I ask him.
"Probably not," he says.
"Man, what if God is Japanese and we got it all wrong until now," I say.
"Dumb ass, I don't think God would speak to us in Japanese considering we don't know any Japanese," he says.
In my head, he makes sense and we go to sleep.

The next day, we ask some Americans if they heard the voice too. They laugh at us. "It's a Japanese temple close by," they say. They tell us that the voice comes on every day at noon, 4:30 PM and 9 PM. It's a loud speaker from a Temple saying a prayer or something (we still aren't' sure).

Boy, I feel like a dumb ass for asking if they heard the voice of God.

Just another day in Weenie's World!

No comments: