Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Gene Simmons

So, I have 2 jobs teaching conversational English to Japanese adults and preschoolers. (See PoPo-- I knew my useless English degree would come in handy some day!!) *I got my "useless" English degree in 2000 from a university in Texas.

Today in my adult English class, we were working hard on pronunciation. Japanese people have a really difficult time pronouncing L sounds, F sounds, Th sounds and Er sounds. Today, one of my more fluent speakers tried to convince me that he can't make those sounds because his tongue is shorter than mine. I laughed hysterically. WHAT??!! I didn't know different ethnic groups had different sized tongues. TOTAL CRAP, I say! He spent a good 15 minutes telling his classmates to stick out their tongues so they could compare theirs to mine. Just picture this: a classroom filled with Japanese adults older than my parents... dressed in very nice clothing... sticking out their tongues trying to measure them. It was hilarious! My students are very shy and proper. To see them all sticking out their tongues was priceless!

For homework, I told them to research Gene Simmons. (Hee-hee)

Just another day in Weenie's World!

No comments: