Friday, August 20, 2010

Movin' on up

My little swimmer has passed level 2 and is now going to be in level 3 swim lessons. Hooray! Hip, hip, hooray!

You people have no idea how long Jude has been in level 2, possibly years--maybe 18 years, at least it feels that way! This is a very big step for him, and I'm so proud of his achievement. After level 3 is level 4 (duh!) and then swim team. That's right, swim team!

For those of you without children, you are probably rolling your eyes or about to press that large X on the right hand corner of your computer screen. You're probably thinking, who gives a shit that your kid has passed to the next level of swim lessons? Right?! Well, it's not just about swim lessons, it's about finding out what he's in to, discovering what he likes. And he likes swimming!

For me, finding an activity that my kid enjoys is important. It's about offering him a little bit of everything and seeing what he gravitates towards.

I want to offer Jude every opportunity to try everything out there, whether it be swimming, Karate, pottery making, art, baseball, music, or whatever. I want to help him discover all the fun that can be had by discovering something you enjoy.

I know I'm glad my parents gave me the opportunity to discover music. I don't think I appreciated it much as a child, but now I do. And I just want to give my kid the same chance to fall in love with something the way I fell in love with music.

No comments: