Sunday, August 29, 2010

The hands of time

This week has been a whirlwind of excitement and change. 

Jude finished preschool and attended Kindergarten orientation this week.  We scheduled his upcoming home visit with his Kindergarten teacher, and we are looking forward to the beginning of his school career.  Hopefully, he will be the future, graduating class of 2024.  Crazy, huh?!

Husband turned 40 this week, and we celebrated last night with a huge, epic karaoke birthday party at our favorite karaoke joint.  Husband is still recovering from last night's festivities.  Let's just say we partied like it was 1999, but our bodies are not the same as they were in 1999!

With all that's going on, sometimes I just wish I could stop time and take it all in.  I wish Jude would stay this age just a little longer, because 5 is a great age--the best age, in my opinion.  His world is full of discovery and curiosity.  He wants to know about everything.  Our conversations are a constant why this, why that, how come...he desires all the answers to everything, never stopping or being content with the answers given.  Instead, he continues to constantly probe us, in an attempt to understand everything that exists in his world.  Sometimes it's exhausting.  I spend countless hours on the computer researching things, because I don't have all the answers to his questions.  Even then, sometimes he's still not satisfied, continuing to ask even more questions.  His thirst for knowledge is unbelievable.  I've never met a child this inquisitive. 

So, I wish I could make the days a little longer or stop the rotation of the Earth just so I can enjoy Jude being 5 a little longer.  Everything about him at 5 is wonderful, and I don't want it to end. 

I know it seems selfish of me to want to keep my son 5 for just a little longer.  I'm sure this age is quite frustrating for him, never getting all the answers he wants, sometimes not being able to understand the answers given because they are too complicated for his 5 year old mind. 

But every day passes quicker than the one before, leaving me yearning for all the yesterdays even while I'm in today.  I know I sound crazy, but I just want to hold on to every minute and every second just a little longer-- just long enough to absorb everything about each moment, permanently implanting it into my memory where it will last forever. 

No comments: