Thursday, August 26, 2010

In utter shock

So, a couple of weeks ago I bought Jude a new American style backpack for school.  It was a rather cheap one (made in China) with Iron Man on the front.  Since Jude wanted it, I threw it into our basket without thinking twice. 

Well, yesterday I decided to remove the tags on the backpack and let Jude start taking it to school.  When I went to cut off the tags (which were in English), I stumbled across a small tag that said, "CALIFORNIA PROP 65 WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm."  I was like huh, what the...??

So, I went on-line and did a little research about California's Proposition 65.  Basically, the people of California are tired of their lakes and streams being polluted, and they are tired of toxic substances being used in everyday products without the consumers' knowledge.  So, by passing Prop 65 in 1986, the state of California requires businesses to notify consumers if any hazardous chemicals exist in their products, on their property or at their work place. 

So, after reading about Prop 65, I thought how could a backpack manufacturer make a backpack, knowing it contains harmful chemicals, and then market it to children, hoping they buy it and wear it on their backs, exposing them daily to potentially dangerous chemicals?  How? 

Look, I know there are cancer causing chemicals everywhere.  I'm aware of that.  But to put harmful chemicals in a kids' backpack is just wrong!  It shouldn't happen.  Ever! 

So, before you buy products for your kids to use and wear, please check the labels. 

By the way, I tried multiple times to get in contact with the manufacturer of the backpack, but my calls were never returned! 

Needless to say, I went on-line to L.L.Bean and purchased Jude a new, safer, better backpack, and it was 20% percent off!

No comments: