Thursday, September 30, 2010

In bed

It seems lately all I do is read in bed.  Since Husband is away, Jude has taken up residence on Husband's side of the bed.  I like it that way.  When I wake up at night, I just reach over and feel his warm, little, skinny body and fall right back to sleep, comforted to know my child is near me, safe and sound.  If you aren't a parent, these words probably mean nothing you, but if you do have kiddos, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.  


So, before bed each night, I read Jude his night-night books, which usually consist of multiple Star Wars readers or a couple of books about the Transformers, and then I read my books.  


Here's what I'm currently reading:


Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason  by Helen Fielding
This is the sequel to the first book.  I found this book at my favorite resale shop.  I haven't started reading it yet, but I intend to.  This is a guilty pleasure read.  


The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer
I bought this book because it's by Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight books.  However, this book sucks.  I think her publisher asked her to write it just so stupid people, like myself, would buy it and make them (Meyer and her publisher) lots of money. I've gotten to page 133 out of 178 pages, but have no desire to finish.  


Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I'm reading this book because it has a bunch of hype around it.  But I'm sorry to say, I don't like this one either.  I know lots of people are raving about this one, but I can't seem to figure out why.  In my opinion, it's not very good and lacks so much.  In the beginning, Gilbert tells you that she was paid to write this book.  She HAD to write this book.  And because of that, the book feels forced, unnatural, and, frankly, boring!  She even attempts to be witty several times, but fails miserably.  I've tried to stick it out and finish it, but it's really starting to bore me.  I've made it to page 237.


House Rules by Jodi Picoult
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!  I LOVE THIS BOOK!  A friend of mine let me borrow it, and now I can't put it down.  It's an amazing story about a boy with Asperger's.  A crime is committed, and he's accused of it.  This book is riveting, intense, fascinating and creative.  Picoult's social commentary on how we treat people with differences is eye opening!  If you have time and want to read an excellent book, check this one out!  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!  I promise you won't be disappointed. 


So, that's what's on my night stand.  What's on yours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I follow your blog in Google reader - so this morning this post showed

"My Misadventures in Bed"

I'm currently reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It's about the 1893 World Fair and a serial killer who used the fair to lure this victims.

Unfortunately I only read on the plane between Milwaukee and DFW, so it's been slow going although it's a pretty interesting story. Not bad for a Non-fiction book.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing you're not loving, "Eat, Pray, Love" 'cuz you've not "been there." It's in my stack of "Girl Power" books, completely dog-eared. I've read it again and again and again and always I'm inspired. I understand completely her desperation at realizing her life as she knew it was falling apart and her quest for "self." If I could have, I would have traveled the world. Instead, I dove into kids, school, and books. ~Hot Texas Midget Momma

Weenie said...

Thanks for stopping by my useless blog! I'm so sorry you thought this site was about "Misadventures in Bed"--now, that would be an awesome blog!

Ooooo! I love serial killer books! I'll have to check that one out! Thanks for the info!

~Weenie

Weenie said...

Hot Texas Momma,
I'm sorry you liked "Eat, Pray, Love". It seemed ridiculous to me that a grown woman would fall apart and then have to find herself with the help of some spiritual gurus in foreign countries, while sitting and saying "Ome" a million times. It was unrealistic, forced, and just plain silly! Plus, she had to write the book. Her publisher MADE her write the book. She didn't write the book because she had a good story to tell. She wrote the book to make money and to fulfill her contractual obligations by her publisher. She didn't want to get sued by her publisher! That's not what writing is about, in my opinion. It's about telling a story that's new, innovative, creative, interesting, etc. Her story was boring, lacked luster, and failed to offer me anything.

Sorry!

~Weenie