This could only happen to me!
Tuesday I nuked a leftover piece of chicken in the microwave. I heard it popping and cracking, so I assumed it was warm. When I took it out, it popped a few more times. I thought nothing of it. I waited about 10 seconds, and, then, I put the small piece of chicken in my mouth. The next thing I knew, I heard a pop and felt a mini-explosion in my mouth.
(Being patient is a virtue I don't have!)
The chicken was so hot the oil inside continued to boil, even after I removed it from the microwave. At the exact moment I bit down, the oil shot out like a rocket, all over my mouth. Boiling, scolding, hot chicken juices and oil exploded in my mouth. IN MY MOUTH! I yelled as my tongue and the area under my tongue were scorched.
Husband witnessed the event and asked if I was okay. I couldn't speak. I thought shit, shit, shit; my fucking mouth is on fire! All I could do was grab a cold glass of water and fill my mouth with it over and over and over and over and over (I'm sure you get the point) until the pain subsided enough for me to speak.
When it was all said and done, my mouth was covered with several burned areas, including that very sensitive area under my tongue.
Yesterday, when I had to teach, I had a difficult time articulating certain words because of the pain. I was talking like a 7th grader with a giant, goofy retainer in my mouth. I was also salivating profusely, like a dog waiting anxiously for its owner to give it a slab of bacon.
Needless to say, I will try to be a more patient person!
This video has nothing to do with exploding chicken. But it's MythBusters, and I love MythBusters!