Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The joys of children...

So, last night I was dead asleep dreaming about being back in the states. When all of a sudden, I heard my son's voice at the foot of the bed.

"I'm thirsty, mommy!" he yelled.


My heart nearly jumped out of my chest, because I was startled from my dream. My heart pitter-pattered as I tried to figure out what country I was in. When I realized I was in the comfort of my bedroom in Japan, I realized my kid was still standing there waiting for a response. Because I was silent for too long, he walked over to Husband's side of the bed.


"I'm thirsty, daddy!" he yelled in Husband's face.

"Huh..." Husband responded.

So, Jude came back to my side of the bed and yelled, "I'm still thirsty, mommy!"


I'm sure he wanted to say Look mom, I'm freaking thirsty...get your butt out of bed and get me a freaking glass of water! I could hear the frustration in his voice.


I peeled the covers off of me and stumbled out of bed. I told him to pee and then followed him to the toilet. The kid is 4 years old and has amazing bladder control. However, I don't give him more liquids at night until I know the kid has an empty bladder. So, he pottied and then followed me to his restroom. There I grabbed a disposable paper cup from the dispenser and filled it with water. He drank it and then asked me to sleep with him for a while.


We both piled onto his twin bed and tried to get comfortable. Keep in mind, sleeping with a 4 year old little boy is like sleeping with a wild hog. They toss, turn, wiggle, shimmy, flop, jump, grunt, and make weird gurgling noises. After ten minutes of break dancing in his bed, I yelled, "Stop moving!" Thankfully, he obliged. Then, he started talking to me, asking me weird and obscure questions about the universe. Keep in mind, it was midnight and I was tired. All I wanted to do was return to my dreams. But, the kiddo was wide awake and decided that if he was awake, I should be too! After 10 minutes of talking, I yelled, "No more talking...go to sleep!" He whined and whimpered. Then, he stood up and put his head near my feet. I tried to sleep but he kept kicking me in my groin. He kept wiggling and kicking. I was in a half-awake half-asleep state getting kicked in the knees, upper thigh and groin area. I desperately wanted to kick back in self preservation, but I didn't. I just closed my eyes and endured the torture until I finally fell asleep. A swift kick to the groin woke me up around 2 AM. I got up and moved to my bed. I had a horrible crick in my neck from Jude's miniature pillow. My back hurt, and I was exhausted. When I finally started to dream again, the damn alarm went off. It was 4:20 AM. I had planned on running, but I just couldn't leave the comfort of my bed. I swatted at the alarm like it was a horse fly. Husband heard the commotion and asked if I was running today. I grunted and was back in my dream.



I woke up this morning beat to hell! My knees hurt, my back hurts, my neck hurts, and I'm one tired Mexican! I wish I could start an IV drip of caffeine. I'm going to need it today! Oh...the joys of motherhood!

No comments: