Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An earthquake woke me up...

So, this morning I was sound asleep having a bizarre-o dream about being in high school again when all of a sudden, I heard things shaking. The mirror on my dresser started to rattle, and the necklaces I have hanging on the wall started to swing back and forth making a clanging noise. I sat up in bed confused. Then, I heard the closet doors squeaking. My brain immediately recognized the strange noises were the result of an earthquake. My heart was racing and I thought is this the big one? Then, the noises stopped. I looked to my side to see if Husband had heard it or if he was even awake. To my surprise, I saw Jude sleeping soundly next to me. I had forgotten that Husband had gone for an early morning run and that Jude had come to the bed earlier in the morning. Just as I was trying to escape from the heavy comforter, Jude rolled over and looked at me.

"I think we just had an earthquake," I told him quietly.

"Don't worry, Mommy, it's just the plates moving around under the ground...it will be okay," he said in a drowsy, hoarse voice as he rolled over and went back to sleep.


After the conversation, I got up and checked the computer to see how big the earthquake actually was. It turned out to be a very small 4 point something earthquake-- a very mild one. However, the epicenter was in Chiba--one prefecture over. I was relieved to see it was nothing major.


Just another day in Weenie's World!

No comments: