Monday, November 9, 2009

On being his mother


I'm no longer myself. I'm no longer known by my name. Instead, I've become Jude's mother. I no longer have my own identity. (When I go to the bus stop, all the kids yell, "Hi, Jude's mom!")

I knew this time in my life was coming, but I never expected it to be so soon. You see, when people start addressing you as some one's something, it's a little weird at first. You realize that you are no longer the person you were or tried to be. The force which exists has decided that you are no longer you. Instead, you are your son's mother and nothing else.

I'm totally okay with this, though. I just didn't expect it to happen this soon. I mean, I can recall when I was in high school, and my father was simply known as Weenie's dad. I was fine with that. But now the tables are turned. It's a little weird that I am only known as my son's mother.

But, of all the children in the world, I'm glad I belong to Jude!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If ya gotta be somebodys something, I guess he's a pretty good one to be !!

Med. Sized D