Monday, May 3, 2010

The weirdness around me

I live in a weird, weird world.

In my world, men carry purses, and it's okay. Women still wear leg warmers, and no one thinks anything of it. People have orange, green, purple and blue hair, and no one stares at them. People eat lots of raw things, and it's totally okay.

Sometimes I forget how weird my world actually is. I guess I'm getting used to the weirdness. The weirdness is now common place.

And I love the weirdness and the absurdity of it all. My senses are constantly teased and tempted when I walk around Tokyo. I see amazing sites, taste amazing foods, and smell amazing things.

However, I'm afraid to move back to the mundane and the boring. In Japan, my mind is constantly in motion, trying to wrap my head around the bizarre-ness that is Tokyo, Japan. I am never bored here, that's for sure.

But when I move back to America, my senses will be dulled, and instead of witnessing bizarre and amazing things, I'll be in self preservation mode. I'll be looking over my shoulder in the parking lot, with my keys in hand, making sure I'm not being followed. I'll be leery of parking in dark, secluded areas. I'll be leery of lots of things, like the meth-head down the road or the weirdo looking at me like I'm lunch. I'll also have to watch over Jude like a hawk, something I'm not used to doing.

In Japan, I never have to worry about those things. No! Because there is hardly any crime in Japan, my mind can focus on other things. I never have to feel restricted, scared or worried. Instead, I take in the sights, sounds and weirdness of it all.

And I love all the weirdness!

No comments: