Saturday, May 1, 2010

So blessed

I am so incredibly lucky to have a job I absolutely love. I honestly love to wake up in the morning, get dressed, and head to work. I'm happiest when I'm working, when I'm teaching and discussing the language I love.

When I was in college, I studied what I liked: English. I was always told that I should do what I'm good at, and, well, I'm good at writing 20 page papers with 25 different sources in about 6 hours, and I'm good at analyzing various literary works and comparing them to shampoo commercials. I'm also quite good at creating elaborate grammar trees that take up 2 sheets of paper. And, I like it. That's right! I like to create grammar trees. I know I'm weird.

I also love to sit around and think about how the words we say are created in our mouths. I love to think about how we articulate words and create them with the simplest movements of our tongues and lips. Diphthongs, glottal stops, and schwas turn me on! I know I'm really, really weird!

I also love to read books and catch grammatical errors in them. I love it when an editor misses something. It really does make my day, almost as much as finding an M&M on the floor!

When I do stumble across a mistake, I'm so tempted to correct the mistake with a huge, red pen, and then return the book, flagged and highlighted, back to the editor, charging them a fee for my services. I know it's rude, but someday I will do it.

Now, that's not to say this blog isn't littered with countless mistakes. I know it is. I try to correct the mistakes when I find them, but sometimes I write an entry in 5 minutes and then run out the door, never taking the time to really edit myself. I know I'm lazy.

But, all I know is that I'm one lucky bitch. I'm lucky because I get to do what I love! I get to teach English to people who are eager to learn.

It's great to be me!

No comments: