Thursday, June 17, 2010

Their Stories

Kyoto, Japan

Before each class, my adult students are expected to prepare a short 5 minute story about anything they like. They present their story in English to me and their classmates. During these 5 minute stories, I have learned so much about each one of them. They have shared stories of sorrow, triumph, death, rebirth and happiness. I feel honored to hear their stories. And through their stories, I have learned about each one of them. They have shared intimate details of their lives to me, their English Sensei.

Each student has an amazing story, and their stories have touched me in a way I never thought possible.

Living in Japan is amazing, but reliving remarkable experiences through my students' stories makes it an even more amazing place. I will be forever grateful to them for allowing me into their world.

No comments: