Thursday, March 15, 2012

What a night!

Yesterday evening, when Jude and I were eating our dinner (Husband was working late again!), we felt a small earthquake--nothing special.  I turned on the TV to NHK and discovered that the wimpy earthquake we had felt had actually been a large one up north.  See for yourself:

a 6.8 magnitude earthquake!  Tsunami warnings were issued along with evacuation orders for those who live near the coastal areas of Aomori Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture and Hokkaido Prefecture.  Luckily, the only tsunami wave reported was about 3 inches.  No one was injured and no damage was reported.

Then, as I was settling down, getting ready for bed, and my anxiety was starting to fade away, we had another earthquake!  A 6.1 magnitude earthquake near Chiba Prefecture--that's only one prefecture over from us!  Narita Airport was temporarily shut down, and the bullet trains (Shinkasen) were also temporarily halted.  Our closet doors rattled, the mirror on my dresser shook and our windows shook for about 15 seconds or so.   Again, it took me about an hour to relax before I was able to go to sleep.

My Japanese peeps keep telling me I'll get used to the quakes, but I don't think that will ever happen!  Each time I feel the ground beneath me shake, rattle, and roll, it takes all of my self control to not run out of my 5th floor apartment building, screaming like a mad woman.  I guess that fight or flight response in me says get the hell out NOW!  

Maybe my memories of 3/11/11 are still too raw and real for me.  Maybe when I'm safely back in the U.S., I will be able to truly relax and not have to worry about the ground beneath me.

No comments: